Skip to main content

My Life of Food - The Evening Meal

For those of you who know me - you will know that cooking is an integral part of my life.

I am Food! Food is me - wherever there is food - not too far away will you find ME!!

I eat food, I cherish food, I cook food, I love food and I have a deep respect for foods of the world!! Food is the life source that gives us our energy - it is also a necessity - it is our fuel.

To me 'Food' is a measuring stick for 'how much a mother loves her children,' or 'how much you love the man in your life'..... it is the gift you give someone sick in hospital, or the gift you give to friends who are having a BBQ, it may be the gift of a surprise birthday cake or as my son's girlfriend made for me - cupcakes - little morsels of heaven, asking to be eaten - the gift of belonging!

Food is designed to give pleasure to our senses and fill the empty bellies after a hard day's work.

Cooking is my passion and often we have all our five children (plus partners) over for 'The Evening Meal.'

No matter how tired I feel - there is always enough energy mustered up to 'cook up a feed' so as to feed the family. It's important to me, as when they all come into the kitchen - I hear their 'Ohhs and Aaahs' and remarks of 'What's Vee cooked tonight?' They all wander through - one by one, noses on alert, guessing and checking through the glass oven door - to see what give-away there may be upon the kitchen bench, looking anxiously at the vegetables or the meats being used, to confirm their guesses.

As the meal is cooking they congregate around the breakfast bar - laughing, cracking 'bad' jokes, and telling tales of the days on-goings keeping me amused with their hilarity as I finish off the last touches. Offers to get the plates out, offers to stir the gravy, whip the cream, get the 'Yorshires' out of the oven or setting the table are never short.

Then I give them the nod! 'Dinner's Out - come get it!' We don't have buffet style very often - usually I serve it up in proportions equivalent to their appetites and age. Dad gets first dibs, then the lads..... each is always completely satisfied and normally there isn't a lot left, after we've all had a go. 

Then we share dessert and lastly a brew of Indian Chai - and not the crap sold in cafes - but the real stuff with my own real chai masala as mum taught me to make. 

Everyone is thankful and one by one as they leave home to go off into the evening each thanks me personally for the meal.

So why is the Evening Meal so important?

Firstly I believe in the importance of food, Secondly - the importance of family. Good hearty food plus children equals 'Happy Family.' The children have come from different walks of life, their journeys are different, their days are different. They have different stories to share and different small talk to make. With the help of food they release whatever pressures they've felt through the day and share their stories with each other, as they eat together.

Not only have I been blessed to cook Indian (curry) meals - I am also very honoured to have been given skills for cooking almost any other meal. Last year I went to England to meet my Paul's family. His older brother Colin taught me the correct way to cook 'Yorkies' with the secret recipe of which I have managed to cook and have scored the perfect ten!! I have learned to cook various pasta dishes and I think my risotto is to die for.......

Call me old-fashioned but my mum instilled a strong bond of 'food for love' in me and my cooking. For this gift - I am forever indebted to her. The gift of cooking.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...And here it is!! 'Menopause Madness; I Survived - You Can Too! The Outrageous Memoir of a Menopausal Woman'

  And here it is... 'Menopause Madness; I Survived - You Can Too! The Outrageous Memoir of a Menopausal Woman.'  'What's this?' you may ask me. 'You've finally got your memoir written?' The answer is yes and after four months of getting my raw manuscript into a polished manuscript, acceptable to publishing houses, I spent an additional seven months sending the highly polished version (Edit 4) to various publishing houses in the hope of securing a publisher. Hell no!! Not to be for me, I'm afraid.  Every morning I would wake up and check my inbox for emails from publishers on the other side of the world; the UK and USA and Canada. Most mornings there was not a lot. But some mornings I was pleasantly surprised for 30 seconds and then ever-so-gently let down in 10 seconds, and all in the very same email - incredible!  Several publishers said 'Great manuscript and great topic.' One NZ publisher (who shall remain nameless), told me the topic was n

Nothing changes - if nothing changes...

A week ago I wrote my blog about facing a challenge and coming to a crossroads in my life.  Many of you were kind enough to message me about 'just going for it' and not being afraid to take the plunge and do something different. This week I want to write about understanding change, understanding your fears, being able to overcome them, and being able to take the right action. It's very easy as a bystander to look across and think to yourself 'Oh she/he'll be alright,' 'What can I say to  XYZ (friend) ?' or 'Hell... I feel really sad for XYZ (friend) but how the heck do I help?' Let's examine it all... Understanding change As a younger woman - I was fearless. I was bold and daring, and I loved the buzz of a calculated risk. 'Change' was to be embraced. The old saying was that 'Change was as good as a holiday' meaning if you wanted but couldn't get that holiday buzz, then go do something different - simple! However, time tak

2022 - What a year...

Well now, I must say... 'it's been a while'! Here we are at the end of 2022, the 30th of December to be precise, and my last post was literally donkey's years ago. In fact, it was a decade ago. So let me begin. COVID (our global pandemic) is still in existence here in New Zealand, and now we are seeing yet another surge in the  rising numbers. Both my husband and I managed to contract it over April this year but swiftly got rid of it. He had it for a period of seven days and I retained it for close to seven weeks. But now, in spite of its presence in the wider community, we are both keeping well and healthy. However, visits to see my eighty-year-old mum in Mt. Eden are less frequent, as I live in fear of perhaps being asymptomatic or a carrier, then sharing it with her unwittingly. This year with COVID still being a very influential factor in our lives, I was made part-time, which felt quite strange. I guess it was because we had come out of or through hybrid and onlin